Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Chemistry 101:Beginner Ink Labs and Pics

Discussion in 'Toys forum' started by HëRbN, Jul 2, 2008.

Share This Page

1. FLIP FLOP

FLIP FLOP Senior Member

i have mixed latex paint and pen ink before it came out a nice light purple you havee to mix it alot at first but then its fine (wont seperate, i left a bottle of it sitting for a long ass time and it was fine.) as for the grog i heard you can use very finely ground up artists charcoal. you could maybe try super strong pen ink though. (make sure its very thick)

2. Queezy

Queezy Elite Member

Can I use waterproof caligraphy ink as an additive?

3. FLIP FLOP

FLIP FLOP Senior Member

is it higgens/india ink?

4. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

yes, but it'd be shitty. you can boil the calligraphy ink down until its a solid, then crush it into a powder, THEN you can add it

5. gunsofbrooklyn

gunsofbrooklyn Senior Member

ok the dicks in the other thread wont help me
    my ink is really runny and it comes off really easily
    how do i get the ink to stay on?

6. TASR

TASR Banned

hmmm, make another batch with less of whatever thinner you used, or add some koolaid powder or some elmers white glue I believe. I added some fake blood to my red ink and it thickened it.

whatever you can find son

7. gunsofbrooklyn

8. LeaksOne

LeaksOne Elite Member

ok sounds good. about that artist charcoal is is that the stuff at michaels? it comes in like a 3 pack or 2 pack an its like little short square pieces?

9. Queezy

Queezy Elite Member

I think it mght be higgins.
    Does it smell when you boil down liquids?

10. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

yea. but if it water based you'll just smell water

11. Queezy

Queezy Elite Member

12. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

and if your ever boiling anything else, it usually doesnt matter much. if you really wanted you could cover teh top, cut a hole, and feed a tube in, then all the vapor would go thru the tube, and you could collect it if u wanted it.

13. Queezy

Queezy Elite Member

Damn never thought about that.

14. H3TT1NG3R

H3TT1NG3R Elite Member

yea, its called fractional distillation., its also a way to seperate two liquids. if one liquid has a lower boiling point, it will boil off, and you can colect it, thwn when the other one starts boiling, change the cup taht the tube is feedign into, and then you've seperated the liquids.

15. gunsofbrooklyn

16. HëRbN

HëRbN Elite Member

just becareful with the top one cause it writes bad ass with acrylic but if it dries up then its trash. and tape the whole thing up with electrical tape or something cause if you squeeze to hard itll leak at the seems.

and acrylic is paint. ink is ink good luck making an opaque yellow ink. id stick with acrylic

17. LeaksOne

LeaksOne Elite Member

how do i make metallic silver gk? what kinda paint has metallic paint?

18. Queezy

Queezy Elite Member

19. LeaksOne

LeaksOne Elite Member

yea i jus found some yesterday. the lowes only has white an black an i wanted a little can so i went to ace hardware an got blue green an aluminum.

20. Kofin

Kofin Senior Member

Here's my ghetto krink:
    Rustoleum OIL BASED paint. (about $10 US for a quart)(Wal-mart)
    Paint thinner (about $5 US for a half gallon)(Wal-mart)
    Brake fluid DOT3 ($1.75 for a bottle that will last for about 100 batches)(Dollar General)

I don't measure it out- I go in ratios. My current mix:
    4/5ths Paint
    1/5ths Thinner
    1/2 a capful (about a teaspoon) of brake fluid

I use a gatorade bottle and a coke bottle when making it.
    Cut the coke bottle in half, and you can use the top half as a funnel for the gatorade bottle. Less mess, less wasted paint.

Always stir your paint good before mixing, and shake the ink very well after mixing.

WORDS OF CAUTION: I use this ink in Kiwi Shoe Polish mops. I dont own any good markers.

Add too much brake fluid and your batch is worthless. All brake fluid does is slows your ink's drying time. Too much and it almost never dries. I used too much my first time and my mop tag took 15 hours to dry.

This recipe works well for me, though. Good clean drips, but not so thin that it over-drips, or the drips are wiggly and watery.

This makes much more ink per dollar spent than buying actual Krink Ink or other brand names.

Use common sense too. Dont pour it in or over your sink or tub. It will stain it. Wear disposable gloves.