Menu

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Vegetarians And Vegans

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dajam410, Nov 17, 2006.

Share This Page

1. taxus

taxus Senior Member

Yep.
    And when they complane about people wearing leather really pisses me off.

Oh well, I dont ever wear leather, so I dont give a shit. :p

2. E-Terror

E-Terror Elite Member

there in lies the problem with your logic.

im sure if you really really tried you could take down a healthy cow, probably be means of asphyxiation(i probably spelled that wrong but quite frankly, i dont gove a fuck) but if you look at any predator in the wild they usually do what?

if its an animal much larger than itself they single out the smaller ones(the babies) or the ones that are weak and on their way out, but most of all, they catch prey of a more managable size. im sure if we didnt have sharp things to kill cows with we wouldnt be eating them, we'd be eating smaller things, like dogs or cats or chickens, which are pretty easy to kill with your own bare hands/feet.

that and animals in nature ARE known to use tools to capture OTHER LIVING THINGS. species of apes and some birds even will use sticks to catch bugs when theyre inside trees and logs.

animals will use what advantages are given to them to dominate their landscape, wether it be flight, big claws, or the ability to think and adapt and make tools

and to the tenderizer thing, meat you buy from a supermarket isnt that tender because of something called rigor mortis, which is an onset effect of death. which means freshly killed muscle in an animal will be more tender than anything youve ever seen in a market anywhere(unless tis aged beef, because the aging process is really a decomposing process which makes teh meat more tender because the proteins int he muscle that makes it tough break down while it decomposes)

you get me a cow and ill strangle the fuck and eat it while its still gasping for its last breaths

im done with this, im gonna go max out on the bench and joke about juicing at the gym but have a small part of me want to try it at least for one cycle.

3. BoRe-719-

BoRe-719- Elite Member

well said.

d_g, its pretty easy to kill an animal with your barehands, its just that WE are the DOMINANT species because our brains have evolved beyond a primordial state. (survival of the fittest, if you believe in it, sounds somewhat brutal and apathetic, but its true)

if itll make you feel anybetter, buy a cow, break its legs, slit its throat, gut it, clean it, and eat it.

4. Msfyt

Msfyt Elite Member

listen, this is a whole page insulting something you dont believe in
    if you are not vege or vegan
    simply fuck off
    havik do i invade your hardcore thread?!!? and insult it and prove how horrible the music is, no
    you know why people its a choice
    our choice!!!
    and if we like and believe in our choice, than there is no reason to insist otherwise

you know whats ironic is everyone hates pushy vegans or preachy vegetarians
    but isnt that what you meat eaters are doing
    being preachy annoying know it alls, pushing your ideals and meat importance on us?!!?

5. Msfyt

Msfyt Elite Member

Letters to the editor based on a story in the Montreal Mirror (i will post the artcile below)

MAD ABOUT MEAT

Reading John Custodio’s interesting story about Nikolaus Geyrhalter’s new film Our Daily Bread [Cover, “Food for thought,†Nov. 9] should surely make many readers want to see this documentary film.

Today, less than five per cent of Canadians work on farms—most urban people are very disconnected from the origins of their food. Ignorance about fruit and vegetable farming as well as a lack of knowledge of how animal farms and slaughterhouses work is prevalent.

While many fruit and vegetable farms use an unacceptably high level of pesticides and insecticides, at least most people can freely visit fruit and vegetable farms if they want to. But when it comes to slaughterhouses and animal factory farms, their owners are very secretive—they almost always will allow only employees and public health officials to visit them. Owners of slaughterhouses and factory farms do not want the public to see the barbarity that goes on there 365 days a year because doing so could massively dent their profitability.

If slaughterhouses and animal factory farms have nothing to hide, most members of the public should be allowed to visit them openly on an appointment basis. By the way, did I mention that many, many meat inspectors in the U.S. become so revolted by the meat industry that they turn vegetarian themselves?

» Manish Patwari

“Where’s the Beef?†the Mirror’s Nov. 9–15 cover asks us, in large headlines, above a horrific scene from an abattoir. The “beef†can be found some pages later in the Mirror’s carnivorous restaurant review, which publicizes the tastiness of slaughtered birds, fish and mammals, including lamb (baby sheep), roe (fish eggs), Atlantic salmon and chickens.

Although the cover story contains a photo of slaughtered chickens on an assembly line, the resto review, with its promotion of “flame-broiled bird†reflects the norm of the Mirror’s food journalism. This article and others like it in many mags and papers are nothing but advocates for a food culture through which untold numbers of birds, mammals and fish are killled for profits and our palates. If people had to kill the animals they eat, many would quickly become vegetarians. And that in fact is the only answer if we want to separate ourselves from a killing industry so massive that it’s beyond our imagination.

» Shloime Perel

6. Msfyt

Msfyt Elite Member

here is the article based on a new documentary called Our Daily bread
    http://www.montrealmirror.com/2006/110906/cover_film.html

Nikolaus Geyrhalter thinks we know too little about the food we eat and how it gets to our tables, so he’s made a film to show us, amongst other things, how tomatoes are picked, how chicks are hatched and how salt is mined. He also shows us how animals are raised and slaughtered. Yet despite its unappetizing aspects, Our Daily Bread is a fascinating film, not least of all because it’s the last thing you’d expect in a tell-all documentary about automated food production.

The film tells nothing, but shows everything: There is no narration, no dialogue, no talking-head interviews, just image after compelling sci-fi image culled from the world of high-tech agriculture and animal husbandry. Who knew, for example, that there’s a machine made especially for shaking olives off of their trees, another for picking them up off the ground? Or that vacuums are used to suction chickens off of coop floors and into cages? Or that a cow can be skinned in under 10 seconds?

Visual surprises like these are not all that Our Daily Bread has to offer. Unlike other non-verbal “docsâ€â€”Baraka and the ’Qatsi trilogy, to pick the most obvious examples—Geyrhalter’s film doesn’t use a musical soundtrack to cue our emotions. The awe, dread and occasional boredom we experience watching it is underscored not by Philip Glass compositions, but by the whirring, banging and droning of machines, the monotonous white noise of grow lights and the barely audible chatter of alienated assembly-line workers.

These are inspired directorial gambits, but they have their drawbacks. For example, given viewers’ genre expectations, especially as they’ve been shaped recently by blockbusters like Fahrenheit 911 and Super Size Me, it’s fair to ask if the film really qualifies as a documentary. If so, what story is it telling? What, if anything, is it advocating?

Given its sumptuous static shots and rhythmic editing, Our Daily Bread could just as easily be seen as experimental art cinema. For that matter, a slight shift in context is all it would take for the film to be used to promote the very practices it supposedly condemns. Kraft, Monsanto or a government proud of its agricultural economy could all spin this film easily enough to their purpose. That’s the problem with cleaving so closely to a policy of non-committal documentation: to leave a slate blank is to invite all and sundry to fill it in however they like.

Spurning spoon-feeding

But Geyrhalter insists the risk was worth taking. He specifically eschewed Michael Moore’s methods, the political gains of which, he claims, are lost as easily as they are won. “I didn’t want to spoon-feed audiences,†he says. “I wanted them to work a little bit, to come to their own conclusions about what they were seeing.â€

Most viewers, and certainly most critics, have tended to see in Our Daily Bread only the condemnation side of the equation. The New York Times called it a “devastating†revelation of the “barbarism of factory farming.†The Amsterdam International Documentary Festival, in awarding the film its Special Jury Prize, called it “a vision of hell.†And animal rights groups and organic food activists in Europe are championing the film as an important breakthrough.

“What’s interesting about that,†Geyrhalter hastens to add, “is that the first few times we screened these films, we invited everybody—activist groups but also the people from these large companies. Both sides agreed: the film was accurate. What I showed was true. That was important to me, because I didn’t want to betray anyone’s trust, especially those companies that gave me access to their factories and farms.â€

Still, when pressed, Geyrhalter admits the film does advance a political agenda—“It’s clearly there. You just have to read between the lines.â€â€”but he insists that he didn’t embark on the project with one in mind. “I was just curious, you know? How can you not be, when you go to a supermarket and it’s all there for you, so easily accessible. Our grandparents used to spend 30 per cent of what they earned on food. We spend eight. How is that possible?â€

Geyrhalter may be like that guy—we all know one—who’s worked in too many restaurant kitchens and suffers from a need to share with you all the unsavoury details of what he’s witnessed. Except for this one important difference: Geyrhalter doesn’t take delight in disgusting us, nor does he try to ouse our indignation. Instead, slyly and with zero affect he asks in the most matter-of-fact way, “Can you live with this? Fine. But at the very least you should know.â€

7. Msfyt

Msfyt Elite Member

the movie Our Daily Bread
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0765849/

Welcome to the world of industrial food production and high-tech farming! To the rhythm of conveyor belts and immense machines, the film looks without commenting into the places where food is produced in Europe: monumental spaces, surreal landscapes and bizarre sounds - a cool, industrial environment which leaves little space for individualism. People, animals, crops and machines play a supporting role in the logistic of this system which provides our society's standard of living. OUR DAILY BREAD is a wide-screen tableau of a feast which isn't always easy to digest - and in which we all take part. A pure, meticulous and high-end film experience that enables the audience to form their own ideas.

8. cracksmoka

cracksmoka Senior Member

yo im a joe construction worker and im vegitarian AND sXe... but thats my buisiness... i dont push shit on other people... theres much more practical causes that you can apply yourself to that you actually have a shot at reaching people over... you start rapping about animal rites and feelings people start looking at you with an akward eye...

9. newbornsek

newbornsek Elite Member

my cuzins is a vegan
    and i eat meat
    i can kick the shit out of his skinny ass

10. Msfyt

Msfyt Elite Member

wow thats so great cause violence is almost as cool as killing animals :p

11. *570 Ambush

*570 Ambush Senior Member

after gesus posted that guy cuttin that pigs head off on his crews thread i think im ganna go vegetarian

12. scr3w

scr3w Senior Member

my dad is a vegetarian.....so is my stepmom.

and if you feel guilty eating animals, it's a dog eat dog world, and i'm not going to starve because i feel guilty about killing an animal.

13. dajam410

dajam410 Senior Member

So true....

14. d_g

d_g Elite Member

I find that hard to believe, cows are big, and strong, and stronger than the majority of us. So your going to walk up to it, strangle it with your bare hands and the cow is just gonna stand there and do fuck all? I doubt it.

My point exactly. Sharp things enable humans to eat cows. Sharp things like tools. Not sharp things like teeth or claws that most other predators have.

Fair enough then but I don't see fuck all people doing it besides to chickens.

I acutally know of that, but they could also catch bugs with out the use of tools they're just lazy fuckers like humans.

I'm surprised your still alive on a diet of purely meat.

I know of many vegan body builders and vegan atheletes. Your argument is pretty crap. I know meat eaters smaller than me and I'm vegan and I could easily take the fuckers out. Does that mean all vegans are stronger than meat eaters? No.

Blah blah blah, this will go on for ever.

Basically I said at the start of this I don't give a shit what you do, it's your choice (even though personally I think that eating meat is a shit one). It's my choice to be vegan. It doesn't effect you.

15. Vagrant

Vagrant Elite Member

I'm a vegetarian but purely because of ethics reasons. I do not think it is wrong to kill an animal for nurishment - its what nature intended, and its the way its been done for millions of years.
    But I do think its wrong to domesticate and raise entire species of animals purely for the sake of growing food. This totally demeans the animal and makes its life meaningless. ALSO, when fat fucks are eating their McDonalds and dont finish all of their hamburger because they just ate 12, and then they throw that one away? Thats even worse than raising the cow for food in the first place because you didn't even use it for food.
    Eating meat = good
    Humans playing God and forcing their speciesist practices upon the rest of nature because they hold their existance higher than anything else in the universe = not good.

If you don't get what I mean heres a little taste:
    All the starving children in the world? (not just one country but ours too)
    DONT FEED THEM!
    Feeding the hungry is not the solution. The solution is to let them die because if you feed them, they will grow up and create MORE STARVING KIDS. The population is too big and we need to let nature gain control of us again or else our entire species will run itself into the ground... like it already is.

16. Msfyt

Msfyt Elite Member

what a wondefully outthere theory

i love how as vegetarians we dont really care why each other is
    just the fact that it works for us
    but bottom line, we all seem to agree yeah meat isnt horrible its just what we do with the meat that is

17. sketch3

sketch3 Banned

well u know wats even more ironic?that all u guilty vegen dogooders are destroyeing endangerd animals habitat everyday,how ? i hear u cry .
    TOFU thats right tofu feilds are being placed in deforested rainforests and whathave you.soo put that in ur eco pipe and smoke it.

18. cnue

cnue Senior Member

tofu fields? get educated dude. ive been vegeterian for about a year for ethical reasons as well. they grow soybeans (tofu is made out of soy) almost everywhere. let's not start this eco-bullshit argument about cutting down rainforests when we all write graffiti here (some shit in the paint depleats the ozone layer), alot of us drive cars (harmfull emissions) and so on and on and on

i don't eat meat because i do not believe in torturing animals. the majority of these animals spend their lives hauled up in miserable living conditions, then on top of it all, are abused etc. as that other dude said, it's human to kill other animals for food. but any kind of torture is inhumane on all levels.

19. lecture

lecture Member

tofu fields??? wow.......
    vegetarian.... i like cheese and ice cream....hate milk....ironic, i know.

20. Msfyt

Msfyt Elite Member

i find it odd how the defenders of meat can be so dumb
    and yet the veges have balanced and well educated responces

its almost like defending racisim
    nobody can ever come off as a smart racist

do you people really think we just decide to go vege without informing ourselves about the outcomes?
    and yes there are many other terrible things we humans do, but really can i save everyone/everything, no. but i can start at the small things which are easy to do, and show i care.